AAA Texas is reminding residents who might seek shelter and warmth in their vehicles during power outages to be mindful of Carbon Monoxide.
It is never safe to start or leave a vehicle running in an enclosed space, such as a garage due to vehicle exhaust containing poisonous carbon monoxide gas and can cause severe injury and even death if inhaled.
AAA Texas says more than 400 Americans die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning.
“Many people who have lost power to their homes may try to use vehicles to charge mobile devices as well,” said AAA Texas/New Mexico Spokesperson Daniel Armbruster. “If using a vehicle’s power to charge cell phones or digital devices, make sure the vehicle is not in an enclosed area and be sure to unplug all cables and cords before turning the vehicle’s power off to preserve battery power for your next engine startup.”
During Winter Blast AAA Texas recommends drivers to:
AAA Texas recommends homeowners and renters to: